Milk Protein Concentrate

Milk Protein Concentrate (Source of Micellar Casein): In addition to whey protein concentrate and isolate, Time 4 Whey Protein Professional also contains micellar casein protein.

While whey comprises of 20% milk protein, casein accounts for the remaining 80%. One litre of milk contains 32 grams of protein (26g casein and 6g whey). Like whey protein, casein is a complete protein which provides all of the essential amino acids the body needs for growth and repair. Also, like whey, there are different types of casein, the nutritional value of which is influenced by the type of processing they have undergone.

The two main forms are casein hydrolysate, which is pre-digested and rapidly absorbed, and micellar casein. Time 4 Whey Protein Professional contains micellar casein protein. Like our whey protein, this is low temperature undenatured, allowing it to maintain all of its amino acids, bioactive compounds and growth factors in their most powerful natural state.

Micellar casein concentration is accomplished by the use of a process known as ultrafiltration or microfiltration. Under high pressure, but at a low temperature, milk is forced through an extremely fine filtration screen that traps the casein and most of the whey protein molecules, but without eliminating the natural minerals found in milk, such as calcium, magnesium, and others.

This a non-denaturing mechanical process, which allows the micellar casein to maintain its natural globular structure and comprises particles known collectively called as micelles.

Casein micelles are composed of four main types of proteins: αS1‐casein, αS2‐casein, β‐casein, and k‐casein, which influence various bodily functions including digestion and immunity.

These different casein proteins possess different functional properties due to their primary amino acid sequence. For example, αS1‐casein plays an important role in the capacity of milk to transport calcium phosphate and also has antioxidant properties. While k‐casein is responsible for an increased efficiency of digestion and the inhibition of gastric pathogens.

Additionally, as micellar casein has not been acid treated in production, is it more effective at forming a ‘bolus’ (a small rounded mass of chewed food) in the stomach, which helps to enhance its time release qualities.